A Loveless Arranged Marriage Chapter 1. An Opposite Magnets

  The day was January 21st, 2022, and the morning sun started to spread its wings. We see a grand wedding hall. Near the entrance, a board adorned with white flowers arranged in the shape of a heart stands against a red backdrop, reminiscent of red velvet cake frosting. The groom and bride’s names, “Rishi weds Deepa,” are beautifully spelled out with these flowers. Cheerful faces greet guests at the entrance.

  Inside the hall, a red carpet extends from the entrance door to the wedding stage. The ceiling is adorned with 45 white bulbs, evenly spaced to illuminate the hall. Around 100-150 seats are neatly arranged, creating a warm and inviting atmosphere for the celebration.

  The wedding stage was spacious and elegantly designed. White and pink curtains, along with additional rows of flowers, showcased the creativity of the wedding decor. A combination of chandeliers, antique oil lamps, royal standing lamps, and modern LED lights created a magical nighttime effect.

  A large number of visitors, dressed in traditional Tamil Nadu attire, filled the allocated seats. They chatted amongst themselves, waiting for the wedding to begin. Others were bustling about, busy with the final preparations.

  On the wedding stage, a setup for the wedding rituals had been arranged. Beside a sacred fire, the priest was chanting something. Then, the priest called for the groom to come for the muhurtam (auspicious time). Rishi’s cousin Madan went to fetch him. As he approached the groom’s dressing room, Madan knocked on the closed door and called out, “Rishi, are you ready? The priest is calling you.”

  We see Rishi, a 28-year-old man who enjoys living a single life. He sits in front of the mirror, looking confused. He replies, “Yeah, I’ll come. Just wait for two minutes.”

  From the other side, Madan responds, “Okay, don’t take too much time. Otherwise, you’ll be late for your own wedding.”

  Rishi replies, “Yeah, I know.” With a confused expression, Rishi looks into the mirror and mutters to himself, “This feels like a dead end for me. I should have already said that I’m not interested in this marriage. But my circumstances and introversion have kept me from telling the truth.”

  Madan called from outside, “Rishi, please come. The priest is calling you.”

  Rishi, dressed in his wedding attire and wearing a garland around his neck, began to leave the room. As he stepped outside, everyone cheered for him. However, Rishi felt grief in his heart because he was marrying a girl not out of love, but due to his own problems.

  He sat near the sacred fire and looked at his mother, thinking, ‘Mom, do you think I agreed to this marriage on my own? Sorry, Mom, but I took this step for you. Please forgive me.’

   At the same time, Deepa arrived at the wedding hall. But Rishi, burdened by his grief, couldn’t bring himself to look at her. The priest then announced it was time to tie the thaali (mangalsutra, sacred thread). Rishi felt his hands trembling with fear, but he overcame it and prepared to tie the thaali.

  While Rishi was tying the thaali, everyone around him felt happy and enjoyed the moment. However, Rishi did not share their happiness. After he tied the thaali, his mother, Ishwari, was overjoyed to see her son married.

  The reception followed, and the atmosphere in the wedding hall was filled with a mix of emotions—happiness, sadness, and joy. During the reception, Rishi wore a fake smile, hiding all his true emotions, reminiscent of the Japanese three-face theory.

  As the night replaced the day, preparations began for the couple’s first night together. It was 10:15 p.m. when a room was allocated for them. The room was beautifully decorated with four nightlight lamps at each corner, flowers adorning the sides of the bed, and a heart-shaped flower arrangement in the center of the bed. A table beside the bed held a bowl of fruits and some sweets. The atmosphere of the bedroom resembled a mini garden.

   Rishi got ready, wearing a light blue shirt and a vesti, and headed to the room for the first night. His cousins accompanied him, making fun of him along the way. As Rishi entered the room, everyone cheered. He sat on the bed, his heart beating faster and his breath heavy.

  He thought to himself with a mix of tension and fear, ‘Who asked for this kind of custom now? Everyone else, including the bride, is enjoying the moment, but I am here, suffering in grief. It’s still acceptable up to tying the thaali, but the expectation of sex is too much. It feels like I’m preparing for something forced. Enough is enough; I have to tell her the truth. If I don’t open up about my feelings now, it’s like putting a fake mask on my face.’

  At that moment, he heard the door opening. His heart started pounding heavily, and he began sweating, even though the room was cool. Deepa entered, carrying a copper vessel with milk. Rishi, fear gripping his mind, took the vessel and placed it on the nearby table.

  After handing over the copper vessel, Deepa sat down, leaving some distance between them. Rishi was filled with fear and tension, his heartbeat so loud it seemed it could be heard outside. Despite this, he had decided to tell the truth. Summoning his courage, he prepared to speak.

  Just then, Deepa said, “Sorry, Rishi, I was forced into this marriage. I’m honestly not interested in it. Please, don’t force me to do anything.”

  It was unusual for Deepa to be the one expressing these sentiments instead of Rishi. To understand why, let’s rewind a few hours.

  In the bride’s room, the bridal party was giving Deepa, a 25-year-old woman, a final touch of makeup. While the other girls were cheerful and excited about the marriage, Deepa felt like a puppet forced into this marriage by societal and familial pressures. She had no interest in this marriage, especially given her previous experiences in love.

  She asked the girls to step outside, claiming she wanted to apply her own makeup. The girls, making light-hearted comments like, “Are you trying to impress your husband or something?” left the room after their jokes.

  Once alone, Deepa muttered to herself, filled with frustration, ‘It’s the same story for every girl who tries to avoid this contractual obligation. It doesn’t matter whether a man remains single, but for a woman, marriage is a must. If not, she is seen as a burden to her family. I’m fed up with this societal system.’

  One of the bridesmaids, named Anjali, looked at Rishi sitting near the sacred fire and called out, “Hey Deepa, come and see your husband. Look how handsome he is.”

  Deepa didn’t respond but thought to herself, ‘Husband! The guy I trusted to be my life partner has let me down. How can I trust him now? He hasn’t even spoken to me; how can I accept him as my husband? I don’t know anything about him, just his name, which I only learned at the engagement.’

  Outside, Anjali called again, “Deepa, please come out. The priest is calling you.” With a cold, distant demeanor, Deepa rose and went outside, dressed in her wedding attire and adorned with jewelry around her neck, ears, and wrists.

  Deepa approached and sat near Rishi, hardening her heart. She noticed her mother, Parvathi, standing behind her, her brother, Ashwin, talking on the phone, and her father, Jayraj, standing by her side, looking pleased as he saw his daughter getting married.

  Seeing her father’s face, Deepa thought, ‘Dad, I don’t blame you for forcing me into this. You’re caught in society’s web, and this is the only thing you’ve asked of me. That’s why I’m doing it.’

  As the priest announced the time to tie the thaali, Deepa closed her eyes. Despite her effort to stay composed, tears streamed down her face. She felt crushed by the weight of societal expectations. During the reception, she managed a fake smile to conceal her anger and sadness.

  As night fell, it was time for the first night. Deepa, already angry about the marriage, found the first-night custom only added to her frustration. With the help of her cousin’s sister and some friends, she prepared for the occasion. Carrying a copper vessel with milk, she was accompanied by her friends as she headed to the room.

  Upon entering, Deepa resolved to tell Rishi the truth and make it clear that she would not be forced into sex. She found Rishi sitting on the bed, appearing shy.

  Deepa handed Rishi the copper vessel and took a seat on the bed, maintaining some distance between them. She thought to herself, ‘Is he shy because of me? I need to tell him the truth right away; otherwise, this could get out of hand.’

  Summoning her courage, she declared that she was not interested in the marriage and asked him not to force her into anything. This is where Deepa’s story stands for now. Let’s see what happens next.

  Upon hearing Deepa’s words, Rishi turned to look at her in shock. He was frozen for a moment before asking, “Could you please repeat what you just said?”

  Deepa, frustrated, thought to herself, Is Rishi really this clueless? She responded with irritation, “I said, sorry, Rishi, I was forced into this marriage. So, don’t force me to anything. Why? What’s wrong?”

  Rishi seemed relieved and smiled quietly for a moment. He then said, “Thanks.” Deepa, puzzled, asked, “For what?” Rishi replied, “For saying exactly what I was going to say.” Deepa stared at Rishi in shock and asked, “You were forced into this too?” Rishi nodded, confirming her suspicion.

  Deepa felt a sense of relief but then asked, “Then why didn’t you stop the marriage?” Rishi replied, “Why didn’t you?” Deepa explained, “It’s because of my father’s wish and the pressure from my relatives.”

   Rishi shared his own story, “It’s the same for me. I’m my mother’s only child. My father passed away during the final years of my bachelor’s degree. For my mother, I’m her entire world, and she is mine. I had neglected the idea of marriage for the past three years, which stressed her and weakened her heart. She had a heart attack, and her last wish was to see me married. Although I prefer to live a single life, I had to accept this marriage for her.”

 When Deepa heard Rishi’s reason for agreeing to the marriage, she felt the weight of his situation and simply said, “Hmmm.” Rishi then asked, “And what about you?” Deepa replied, “I was an IAS aspirant and had been preparing for the exam for the past four years. I also had a previous relationship.”

  Rishi responded, “Hmm, interesting. Go on.” Deepa, her anger evident, continued, “My ex-boyfriend was named Arul. We had been together since our second year of college. Last year, we broke up because of casteism.” Rishi interrupted, “Wait, caste?”

  Deepa nodded, “Yes, we were from different communities. Even though we knew the challenges, he ended our relationship out of fear of his father. After that, I distanced myself from relationships and love. I rejected every marriage proposal that came my way. But my relatives and society put immense pressure on my father. He had never asked anything of me before; he always gave me freedom in every aspect of my life—education, clothing, career, and more. But because of the pressure, he asked me for something for the first time. I felt helpless.”

  After hearing Deepa’s story, Rishi realized the extent of her suffering. He said to her, “You’ve endured so many tragedies in your life.” Deepa responded, “Forget it; I’ve already moved past all of that.” Rishi then asked, “What about your mother and your brother? Didn’t they support your decision?”

  Deepa replied, “My mother is the complete opposite of my father; she adheres strictly to societal rules. My brother supported my decision, but he was also constrained by his age.” Rishi understood the immense pressure Deepa faced regarding the marriage. Observing Rishi’s expression, Deepa could see that he truly understood her pain.

  Deepa said to Rishi, “Okay, don’t feel sad for me. I’ve been through all of it.” Rishi asked, “Does every woman have to face such problems?” Deepa replied, “Yes, because society still views women as objects rather than individuals. Although there are some exceptions.”

  Rishi felt a moment of shame about society’s structure. Then he said, “Alright, let’s forget the past and focus on our current situation.” Deepa asked, “First, what’s your stance now?”

  Rishi responded, “In our case, we’re like opposite magnets that can’t attract each other. If even one of us had some love for the other, we could try to make it work. But since we’re both in a neutral state, we should separate rather than force ourselves into this marriage.” Deepa nodded and said, “Hmm, yes. So, when should we apply for the divorce?” Rishi replied, “That’s where the problem lies. We both understand our situation and could get a divorce as soon as tomorrow. But...”

  Deepa asked, “But what?” Rishi replied, “If we get a divorce immediately, it will cause a lot of issues and complications. It’s better if we pretend to be a couple for at least a year.” Deepa, surprised, asked, “For a year?”

  Rishi nodded in confirmation. Deepa then questioned, “Even after a year, people will still ask questions, won’t they?” Rishi answered, “Yes, but we can provide a false reason during that time, which should be acceptable. At least our parents will understand.”

  Deepa agreed, “Hmm, that makes sense. But we’ll need to set some rules for this year.” Rishi responded, “Yes, we need some rules. But right now, I’m quite tired and could use some sleep. Can we discuss the rules tomorrow?” Deepa replied, “Oh, sure.”

  Rishi took a pillow and a bed sheet from the cupboard and said, “I’ll take the pillow and bed sheet. You sleep on the bed; I’ll be on the floor.”

  Deepa replied, “No, you should sleep in the bed.” Rishi insisted, “Nah, it’s okay. I’m used to it.” Deepa agreed, “Okay, fine.”

  Rishi spread the bed sheet and pillow on the floor and lay down, while Deepa settled onto the bed. With a mix of emotions and surprises, their first night together came to an end. They both planned to separate from the very beginning, but will they stick to their decision? Stay tuned to see what surprises the upcoming chapters hold for them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Came After Memories Chapter 5 - Dilemma of Past and Present

The Hidden Diary Chapter 1 - Shruthi's Death

The Hidden Diary Chapter 4 - The Key to the Mystery